As a follow-up to “Sociopaths. Learn. Identify. Avoid.“ I wanted to add additional detail to the progression of behaviors that separate someone suffering from Anti-Social Personality Disorder, Sociopathy and Psychopathy.
I have already made it clear that Sociopathy is a stronger, more deceptive expression of Anti-Social Personality disorder. Psychopathy, as you may have guessed from the ominous aura that surrounds this term, is the highest form of this personality disorder.
So, how exactly does it differ from Sociopathy? Does being psychotic automatically translate to serial killer, mob boss and overall cruel hearted killer? Let’s take a look.
A sociopath is one who is affected with a personality disorder marked by antisocial behavior.
A psychopath is a person with an antisocial personality disorder, manifested in aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior without empathy or remorse.
As you can see, the “feelings” and “affect” are the same, it is in how these traits are expressed that makes the two disorders markedly different.
While the differences in the two definitions of these disorders appears slight at first glance, there are some very real differences.
While sociopaths have normal temperament that permits (for the most part) their personality disorder to often remain unseen and tends not to effect their lives regarding parenting, peers, and intelligence. Conversely, psychopaths are born with temperamental differences that lead them to being risk seekers, impulsive, fearless as well as not being able to socialize normally.
Psychopaths manifest their anti-social behavior with aggression, violence, perverse and amoral activities. They will beat the shit out of you if angered, they will rape, they will ruin your life with complex schemes and harassment, they are capable of this aggression going as far as murder.
Ability to lead a normal life within the realm of social norms, society as well as achieve success is the main difference between someone who is a sociopath versus a person that is a psychopath.
Not being able to integrate with normal society is a symptom of how they EXHIBIT the traits they share with sociopaths.
When we think of serial killers, they are the epitome of psychopaths. The ultimate form of an aggressive expression of their antisocial behavioral disorder.
Below is the list of sociopath characteristics documented in my previous post. Following that are the traits that define a psychopath. These lists are meant as a basis for comparison, an easy way to see the distinct differences between the two pathologies.
Characteristics of a sociopath are as followed:
1. Sociopaths are very charming.
2. Sociopaths can be extremely manipulative and will try to con you whenever possible.
3. Sociopaths feel that they are entitled to everything.
4. Sociopaths will lie continuously to get what they want. They can even sometimes manipulate a lie detector.
5. Sociopaths have no remorse, shame or guilt.
6. Sociopaths will show love and happiness only when it serves their purpose. None of the feelings are genuine.
7. Sociopaths have no room for love in their life.
8. Sociopaths need to have excitement in their lives or live on the edge.
9. Sociopaths have lack of empathy hen their victims suffer pain that they have caused.
10. Sociopaths believe that they are all mightier than thou, there is no concern on how their behavior impacts others.
11. Sociopaths usually have a long history of juvenile delinquency as well as behavior problems.
12. Sociopaths will never take blame for anything they have done to anyone no matter if it is family or friend.
13. Sociopaths have many sexual partners and tend to act out many sexual acts.
14. Sociopaths rarely stay in one place for a long time (home/work).
15. Sociopaths will change themselves if they know it will keep them from being found out.
Characteristics of a psychopath are as followed:
1. Psychopaths use superficial charm to lure their victims.
2. Psychopaths are extremely self-centered.
3. Psychopaths must always do something to keep themselves from boredom.
4. Psychopaths are very deceptive and tend to lie continuously.
5. Psychopaths show no remorse of guilt towards their victims.
6. Psychopaths are very predatory and usually will live off other people.
7. Psychopaths have many sexual partners in their lifetime.
8. Psychopaths are very impulsive with their lifestyle.
9. Psychopaths are always blaming other people for their actions.
10. Psychopaths never have a realistic view of their lives. Believe they are king of the world or from another planet.
11. Psychopaths always want psychological gratification in sexual and criminal activities.
12. Psychopaths tend to try suicide, rarely succeeding.
Noted psychopaths that went onto the express their anger in the most deviant manner, serial killers are:
The Zodiac Killer – Unsolved, Identity Unknown
John Wayne Gacy
The Rostov Ripper presumed by never arrested: Andrei Chikatilo
The ‘Mad Butcher of Kingsbury Run: Unsolved, Identity unknown
Jack the Ripper
~ the audacious amateur blogger
**Visit the “FEATURED” page for a compilation of all personality disorder related posts!